Shanee Stepakoff is not currently accepting new clients.
"I have walked through many lives, some of them my own, and I am not who I was though some principle of being abides, from which I struggle not to stray." These lines, from "The Layers", by Stanley Kunitz, hint at the themes we will explore if you decide to enter psychotherapy with me: Who have you been, and who are you now? What principle of being has shaped your life's journey thus far? Where and when did you disregard this principle? And how may I support you in your effort to recognize and honor your most authentic self?
I am a licensed clinical psychologist with over 25 years of experience (15 post-licensure) treating individuals who are unhappy with particular aspects of their lives. I have a deep respect for the wisdom that can be gained from nighttime dreams, and from literature, music, and the arts.
My training includes post-doctoral fellowships in trauma studies and psychoanalytic psychotherapy. I am also a registered poetry therapist and have been active in the National Association for Poetry Therapy for over two decades. I have a particular interest in working with individuals who are struggling with losses and transitions.
- Years in Practice: 15+ Years
- School: St. John's University
- Year Graduated: 2000
- License No. and State: 017212 New York
- Avg Cost (per session): $180 - $200
- Sliding Scale: Yes
- Accepts Insurance: Yes
- Accepted Payment Methods: Cash, Check
Accepted Insurance Plans
- BlueCross and BlueShield
- Empire BlueCross
- Out of Network
Verify your health insurance coverage when you arrange your first visit.
- Degree: The New School/MFA in Creative Writing
- Year graduated: 2010
- Certificate: Ntl Assn for Poetry Therapy/Registered Poetry Therapist
- Certificate Date: 1997
New York, New York 10011
- Self Esteem
- Cultural Adaptation, Political Violence
- Trauma and PTSD
- Mood Disorders
- Children (6 to 10)
- Preteens / Tweens (11 to 13)
- Adolescents / Teenagers (14 to 19)
- Elders (65+)
- Cognitive Behavioral (CBT)
- Poetry Therapy
- Trauma Focused