J Thomas Smith
Drug & Alcohol Counselor, PhD, PsyD, DMin, JD, LMFT
The focus of my practice is providing substance abuse assessments to employees subject to the Department of Transportation drug and alcohol regulations and to non-DOT employees subject to company drug free workplace requirements. To date, I have completed over 3,000 cases. I have served as a mental health consultant and expert witness. I am licensed in Texas and Georgia as a professional counselor, and in Texas as a marriage and family therapist, childcare administrator and chemical dependency counselor. I am a National Board Certified (NCC) Counselor, Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor, and Master Addictions Counselor (NBCC). Served on the NBCC Examination Committee.
A significant number of companies maintain a drug-free workplace program for employees who are not subject to DOT regulations. A drug and alcohol testing plan is one way for an employer to maintain a safe work environment and can be based on insurance requirements, negotiated labor agreements and/or company Human Resource policies.
Because the DOT SAP process is seen as the GOLD standard by many employers, an employer may require an employee who has failed or refused a drug or alcohol test to be seen by a DOT qualified Substance Abuse Professional for a 'non-DOT SAP' evaluation. States accept assessments to reinstate professional and drivers licenses.
- Years in Practice: 20+ Years
- School: University of San Jose (Costa Rica)
- Year Graduated: 1995
- License No. and State: 767 Texas
- Accepts Insurance: Yes
- Accepted Payment Methods: Cash, Discover, Mastercard, Paypal, Visa
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Corporate discounts offered
- Employer referred/paid
Verify your health insurance coverage when you arrange your first visit.
- License No. and State: LMFT Texas
- License No. and State: LPC Texas
- Substance Abuse
- Dual Diagnosis
- Alcohol Abuse
- DOT SAP Assessments
- Family Conflict
- Life Coaching
- Relationship Issues
- Self Esteem
- Adolescents / Teenagers (14 to 19)
- Aviation Professionals
- Adolescent Substance Abuse
- DOT Substance Abuse Professional
- Legal Ethics and Substance Abuse
- Psychological Testing and Evaluation
- Solution Focused Brief (SFBT)